Monday 5 December 2011

Eggnog Pancakes




About 7 years ago, when my husband and I were engaged, he had some dental work done. Quite a bit, actually. Enough to sedate him and drug him up pretty good. (And if you knew him, you would know that it doesn't take much to drug him. One Sudafed and he is done for the night. Pretty funny to watch, too.) But I am getting sidetracked.

Anyhow, I went over to his place after work to check up on him, make sure he wasn't caught in the blinds or something. He was pretty groggy on the couch, and I tried to let him sleep, but he was so distracted. He could hardly speak because his mouth hurt, and so all I could make out was "eggnog".
"Eggnog?" I asked. "PLEASE! I need some eggnog!!" He was getting louder. Eggnog eggnog eggnog. I would have loved nothing more than to fulfill his request, but you see, it was July. They don't make eggnog in July. At least not where I live. I tried, as nicely as I could, to let him down easy, but he was pretty mad. In fact, he didn't talk to me for the rest of the day. This may or may not have been the drugs. Still not sure.

Well, one thing I promised when we got married was to keep him in eggnog from October to December every year. I have not failed. We may not have milk, fresh fruit, or even bread. But you can bet your boots we have eggnog. These are dedicated to him.


Eggnog Pancakes

1  1/2 cup flour
3  1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1  1/3 cup eggnog
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
3 tbsp melted butter


-Mix your dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
-Add remaining ingredients and stir with a wire whisk.
-Heat a lighty oiled or sprayed frying pan or electric griddle over medium-high heat.
-Scoop dollops of batter onto the griddle, using about 1/3 cup per pancake.
-Brown on both sides and top with syrup (maple, if you have it!) and powdered sugar.

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment