Wednesday 14 December 2011

Homestyle Crock-pot Chili




Oh, my beloved crock-pot. I love love love my crock-pot. Truly, I believe that my survival as a mother is based on this invention. When I know I have a busy day (and let's be honest, most of them are), my first thought is usually, "What ingredients do I have that, if thrown into the crock-pot, will come out tasting like a meal?".

I got my crock-pot for Christmas when I was 17 years old. What 17 year old, you might ask, wants a crock-pot for Christmas? Well, I sure did. And it was a very useful gift too. I use it at least once a week, often more.

This chili can be made without a crock-pot too, I just like the ease of making dinner in the morning and not having to think about it for the rest of the day.   


Homestyle Crock-pot Chili

1 pound lean ground beef
1 large green pepper
1 medium onion,
3 cloves garlic
4 stalks celery
2 cans tomato soup
1  15oz can red kidney beans
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper

- Brown ground beef and transfer to crock-pot
- Chop pepper, onion, garlic and celery and sautee in the same skillet as beef for 5 minutes until   slightly soft, and toss into crock-pot on top of the beef
- Add the tomato soup and kidney beans (don't drain them)
- Add spices and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all together, add more seasoning if you like it hot.
-Cook on high for 4-6 hours, or low for 8.

-Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment