Monday 5 December 2011

Peanut Butter Chocolate Skor Bark

Some mornings, I wake up, take 35 seconds to shower, hap-hazardly throw cereal into bowls, quickly pack lunches, and attempt to make sure that the boys hair is at least somewhat flat on their heads before rushing out the door for school. Some mornings, I remember to set my alarm so that I am showered, dressed, the house is cleaned, and a warm breakfast is waiting on the table by the time everyone else is up. And some mornings, I wake up with baking on the brain. I can think of nothing else. Which means else nothing gets done. Those days are good and bad. Bad, because it means I am wearing sweats for the school drop off (which we are a good 10 minutes late for), the house is a disaster, along with the kids hair of course, and breakfast was most likely a cereal bar and a quick chug of milk. Good, because when everyone gets home, the snack that day is awesome. And most likely the dessert. And, on really good days, dinner too.

But you see, it's not really my fault. Food has this way of burrowing itself inside my head. I can't help it if it makes other things leave in its place. Things like common sense. For example, telling my husband who is dressing the children that no, camoflauge pants do not match with cowboy boots. Or that it's not a good idea to play house under the baby's crib while he is still sleeping in it.

Well, today was one of those days. In my defense, it is December now which means Christmas baking. Lots of Christmas baking. It's 2:00 pm and breakfast dishes are still on the table. Shameful. But it was worth it in the end. I filled 6 tins today. So there.

Happy Baking!



Peanut Butter and Skor Bit Bark

10 ounces good quality dark chocolate, chopped
6 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup salted peanuts
1 1/4 cup skor baking bits
8 ounces milk chocolate, chopped

-Melt dark chocolate in a double boiler, or in a stainless steel bowl over a pot of water. Set aside 2 tbsp for later. Pour the rest into a foiled 9x9 inch pan. Let cool in the fridge until hardened.
- Melt white chocolate and peanut butter in a double boiler. Remove from heat. Stir in peanuts. Let cool for about 10 mins, then pour on the hardened dark chocolate. Sprinkle with about half of the skor bits. Let cool again.
- Melt milk chocolate in a double boiler. Pour on top of the cooled bark. Sprinkle with remaining skor bits. Reheat the reserved dark chocolate and drizzle over the top with a spoon. Let cool completely in the fridge and cut up however you like.

-Jessica

1 comment: