Monday 5 December 2011

Peppermint Dark and White Chocolate Bark

Once, a few years ago, my sister-in-law and I were all set to do some Christmas baking. Aprons on, oven on, Christmas music on. Ready, set, go. She has an out-of-this-world candy cane cookie recipe. We had the dough mixed up, ready for the candy. So, I opened the box of candy canes, rolling pin in hand, ready to smash them all to bits. Which I did. For some reason, I love smashing things. Like in Super Smash Brothers. But that's a different story.

Anyhoo, during the candy cane smashing process, some candy wound up in my mouth. I don't really know how it happened. BUT- it wasn't peppermint. They sure looked like candy canes, the box definitely said peppermint on it. but there was no flavour. It was just sugar. No mint. I tasted another cane. No mint. The whole box was like this. It was bizarre, I suppose they just forgot to add the flavouring. I wonder how many boxed turned out that that. So now, out of habit I suppose, I always check my candy canes before using them. These ones are definitely peppermint. Make sure yours are too!

Peppermint Bark

12 ounces dark chcolate, chopped
12 ounces white chocolate, chopped
1 box peppermint candy canes, crushed

-Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil
-In a double boiler, melt dark chocolate. Mix in about half of the candy canes. Spread in bottom of the pan. Let chocolate cool until not quite hardened. If you're in a hurry, stick in the fridge, or outside if it's cold enough. I put mine on the deck.

-Melt white chocolate. Pour over the dark. Sprinkle with remaining candy canes. Run a butter knife over top to create a marbled effect. Let harden completely. Break into pieces.

-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment