Tuesday 20 December 2011

Triple Chip Cookies




Here in Victoria, we have a Christmas tradition. My family, along with our church, put on an outdoor Christmas Nativity Pageant for the community. We bundle up (and I mean bundle- it can be cold!) and dress up in costumes to put on  the story of Jesus' birth. This year marks the 25th anniversary, and I can say that I have been in it for at least 20 of those 25. My favourite year was when the hubs and I were Mary and Joseph and our middle son was the baby Jesus. Check it out at www.christmasnativity.ca

This year I was asked to make cookies for the performers. There are 4 shows a night, so in between shows, there is a little tent with hot chocolate and cookies for the cast and crew. My favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe is the one we grew up on, from good old Betty Crocker. But Leah had a brainwave to add butterscotch and white morsels to it, just to punch it up a bit. It is genius, really. Leah has made these a ton, so really it's her recipe and I'm just the one posting it. Team effort, right? I like them best right out of the oven, but cookies are cookies, so they're good anytime. Even at 11:30 at night, when you should be in bed, but your husband asks you to stay up and watch him play Zelda.


Triple Chip Chip Cookies

3/4 cup granulated sugar                                      
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
2  1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (I ommitted)
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
                                                                                                                          
    
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
-  Mix sugars, butter and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in nuts (if using) and chocolate chips.
- Drop  by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft).
- Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet.
- Cool on wire rack.

-Jessica

1 comment: