Thursday 26 January 2012

Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins




My mama used to tell me that her eyes used to be blue, but she ate so much chocolate that it turned them brown. I believed her. You may say you like chocolate, but I would put money on the fact that my mom liked it more. At any given time, there were at least 5 chocolate bars stashed somewhere in her bedroom, just in case of a must-eat-chocolate-now emergency. It would absolutely amaze me that she could have chocolate just sitting there, waiting to be eaten. I liked my chocolate right here and now, thank you very much. But she taught me to savor things. The anticipation of something is almost as good as the thing itself.

I can't say that I have learned the truthfulness of this completely yet- I am pretty darned impatient. Good things come to those who wait? Who cares. BUT, I have learned to save my chocolate. After all, what if we get snowed in for a week and I can't get to the store? I have a  basket on the topmost shelf of my cupboard with basically the entire edible contents of my Christmas stocking in it. Don't get me wrong, I have eaten lots of it already, but my hubby  Santa was good to me. And in that basket is a Terry's chocolate orange. Oh how I love chocolate and orange together.

This morning I was looking for some breaky and I accidentally found my way into the basket. As I was brainlessly munching away, I thought that I should probably come up with a way to eat this for breakfast without feeling so guilty about it.


Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins

  • 1 orange quartered and seeds removed (with peel)
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cup sall-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips

       Directions

  • Preheat oven to 400F; spray a muffin tin (12) with non-stick cooking spray like Pam and set aside.
  • Put orange quarters in food processor (or blender) along with orange juice and process or blend until pureed.
  • Add egg, butter, and vanilla to food processor and combine; pour into large bowl.
  • Combine dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, then add all at once to orange mixture.
  • Add chocolate chips
  • Stir to combine.
  • Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes; remove from oven and let stand in tin for 5 minutes before removing muffins.

I like them fresh out of the oven with a bit of butter and a cup of tea. Now that's a breakfast!

-Jessica

Recipe adapted from this recipe.





    



2 comments: